Thursday, July 19, 2018

July 12 was the birthday of the great Oscar Hammerstein. I take note of this because he is the composer of my all time favorite musical "The Sound of Music", and so many more wonderful classics. "The King and I".. "Oklahoma". "South Pacific". I could go on.

I also mention this because as a high school musical student I hope you are privileged one day to participate in one of his shows. Talking with high school students, I know you love to perform the new and modern day musicals." Grease". "Les Mis"." Phantom", and of course, all the Disney classics too numerous to mention. They are truly special and exciting musicals to perform, and I am so proud to see schools taking on such incredible shows- and knocking them out of the park.

What many students don't realize is that Rodgers and Hammerstein are perhaps the reason today's musicals exist. As far back as the early 1940s through the 1960s these composers were taking on such topics as the Nazi threat in World War II (Sound of Music) to prejudice (South Pacific)and a changing political dynasty (King and I). Not to mention the beautiful scores in each and every one of their musicals.

A long time ago I was told by a high school musical director that the great sign of a good show is that you come out humming nearly every song. To this day, I find that to be true with and R & H musical.  I can easily hum two, three or even four of the songs from each of their classics. These two special men set the bar a long time ago, and brought musical theater where it is today.

So dear students, my wish for you is this. If by chance in your high school musical career, you are given the great honor of participating in one of their shows, consider it a great honor. You are reading the words, and singing the songs of two men who probably are part of the greatest influence in musical theater. If by chance to you have the opportunity to do a community production by these composers, I hope you will consider it, and embrace it.

I can promise you will have a special influence on your high school musical career and future theater performances.


1 comment:

  1. Have you ever performed in a Rodgers and Hammerstein musical? Please share

    ReplyDelete

https://www.amazon.com/Dreamers-Stage-Joanne-Vassallo-Jamrosz/dp/1681113708/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=jamrosz&qid=1601394364&...