Saturday, July 14, 2018

Welcome High School Musical Students, Directors and Everyone who Loves High School Musical Theater

Welcome high school musical students, directors, and everyone who loves high school musical theater! We're glad you're here.

Right now, you, like most high school students, are enjoying summer vacation, and returning to school and preparing for your musical are probably the last thing you're thinking about...maybe. Or, perhaps you've been spending Summer vacation perfecting your voice through lessons, taking a dance class, acting class or participating in a summer musical camp. Maybe you're performing in a summer musical production.

Back in my high school days, our annual musical was never far from my thoughts, even during summer vacation. I was a proud "theater kid" back then. We're talking late 70's guys. I was a pretty shy kid in a new school setting and wondered how I would "fit in".

You can probably guess what I’m going to say next. I discovered high school musical theater-and it changed my life. A new best friend at my new school joined our cast of The Music Man that spring and encouraged me to do the same. “We need chorus people," she said. Because I loved theater and always “dreamed” what it would be like to be on Broadway someday, I said “yes”.

It was the BEST decision I ever made. Suddenly there were many new and wonderful friends and they all loved theater, just like me. And if you can believe it, we are still friends today. Check my Facebook page and you’ll see. My love of musical theater introduced me to friends who are still near and dear to me 40 years later.

Although I performed in some community theater after college, the real world set in with job and family commitments. I chose a wonderful career as a figure skating journalist and love covering my skaters. I even published a skating book series. Skating and theater are actually a lot alike, in many ways. No surprise I chose to follow this wonderful sport.

Of course, my bucket list includes beating the boards again someday, but until then I am able to share the joy of high school musical theater, this time as a judge for my local high school musical theater awards.

That’s where you come in. You’re the students and you perform the shows I judge. I thank you. Over the years I have seen the most amazing high school productions. Schools continually pushing the envelope and performing musicals we wouldn’t have even dreamt about 40 years ago. I remember the first time I saw a high school perform Phantom. It took my breath away.

If you are reading this, and considering taking part in your musical this year I would encourage you to go for it with great gusto. I guarantee it will be the best, most fun experience of your high school life, and you’ll learn some neat things about theater too. Not to mention make a few new and wonderful friends along the way.

Over the next few months, we'll share everything from preparing for auditions, finding the perfect part, ensemble roles, production numbers, rehearsals, opening night and much more. We also LOVE students' and directors' input, so, along the way, we'll be asking for you to share everything from audition tips to sharing your favorite role. We also hope you will share information and photos of your upcoming musicals.

So grab those character shoes and get tapping. We’ve got a show to put on.






1 comment:

  1. High School Musical students, are you doing anything "musical" during your summer break? Voice lessons? Dance? acting classes? Musical theater camp? Performing in a summer musical? Share with us.

    ReplyDelete

https://www.amazon.com/Dreamers-Stage-Joanne-Vassallo-Jamrosz/dp/1681113708/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=jamrosz&qid=1601394364&...