Thursday, July 11, 2019

Look for That Different Character

Summer vacation is here, and right now thoughts of back to school may be far and away. However, it’s not too early to be thinking about next year’s musical. Yes, next year’s musical.

Many schools announce the following year’s production at the end of the school year, so you might already know what your musical will be. Other schools don’t announce until early or late fall. Still it is not too early to plan for that special role.

Whether you know your musical, or not, this blog is about getting you to reach outside your comfort zone and maybe try for that very different role. A role that is so unlike anything you’ve ever done.

An example. I once tried out for a production of “Grease”. Instead of the Sandy or Frenchy role, I wanted to try out for Rizzo. Yes, she was totally different from me, the quiet little shy high school student, but I have to tell you I had more fun preparing for that audition, and more fun trying out for that role. I didn’t get the part, but I did get the part of Cha-cha, and that was another fun and different role and I had a blast playing that part.

Over the years I branched out to community theater and played such fun roles as Agnes in Gypsy and Agnes Gooch in Mame, all because I took that Rizzo chance. Never, ever would have done it if I didn’t say, “What the heck, I’ll give it a try.”

So, here are some suggestions guys and gals. Doing a production of the Sound of Music? Go for the Baroness instead of Maria. Other great fun female roles Ermengarde in Hello Dolly, Miss Adelaide in Guys and Dolls, Eulalie Shinn, the Mayor’s wife in The Music Man or Bloody Mary in South Pacific.

Horace Vandergelder in Dolly is a fun role with a great comedic reach. Les Mis? How about Javert or the innkeeper Thenardier. I’ve seen many young actors bring down the house with that one. Doing Disney? There’s the Beast in Beauty and the Beast, or another fun role, Shrek. I also love The King in the King and I. What a stretch that is.

If you see a part, and it looks like fun, or you get that little nudge that says “this might be fun to play”, run with it. Watch the musical. Study the character, and listen to the soundtrack. Note, make sure to study high school versions of the show on You Tube. Movie adaptations are ok, but they don’t always follow the stage script.

Now, decide what YOU can bring to this character. I guarantee you’ll have fun exploring, and if you don’t get the part, you will still show your director that you can reach inside and tackle any part. Who knows? You just might get that quirky lead or supporting role.


So high school musical peeps, start prepping!

No comments:

Post a Comment

https://www.amazon.com/Dreamers-Stage-Joanne-Vassallo-Jamrosz/dp/1681113708/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=jamrosz&qid=1601394364&...